What to do if your Dog eats something they shouldn't in Orlando, FL

If you are a pet owner, you know that sometimes they get curious and occasionally try to ingest something that they shouldn’t. Whether they consume an indigestible object or a toxic substance, acting quickly in these situations is one of the best ways to help your pet. Early intervention can prevent a potentially life-threatening situation.

As a pet parent, the wellness of your dog or cat has to be always your main priority, so having a little knowledge of what things can harm them can help a lot to ensure your furry friend is safe, since some of these objects may pass harmlessly through their digestive tract, but others can cause serious problems. 

The most important thing you need to do when you notice your pet is eating something they shouldn’t is to take away whatever they are still trying to eat. It all depends on what they have eaten, if they eat more it can worsen their condition. 


You may or may not witness your dog eating something they shouldn’t, sometimes there are obvious signs, but many times there aren’t, so in case that you have suspicions acting quickly to see if what they ate was dangerous is the next step, you can start watching for unusual behavior or some other common signs.

If you notice any of the following symptoms, it may mean that he ingested something foreign or toxic:

  • Vomiting or gagging
  • Shaking
  • Trouble breathing
  • Coughing
  • Lethargy
  • Changes in typical behavior
  • Lack of appetite
  • Diarrhea or constipation

Some signs and reactions may take 6 to 12 hours to occur or affect your pet’s behavior but if you notice any of the behaviors above, get them checked by our veterinarians ASAP. Also making sure that anything potentially poisonous is far from your furry friend’s reach.


Some of the things your pet MUST always avoid eating are: Chocolate, Milk, Grapes/Raisins, Macadamia Nuts, Garlic, Onions, Avocado, Yeast Dough, Apple Cores, Xylitol (often found in gum and candy), Caffeine, Alcohol, Salt, Peach/Plum Pits, Cleaning Products and Human Medicine/Vitamins.

Remember that all these suggestions are in no way a substitute for proper consultation with a professional, the best way you can help your dog or cat is by contacting Salazar Veterinary Hospital for advice or treatment immediately if you are worried about your pet’s health. Even if you’re unsure whether they could have eaten something they shouldn’t, it is best to be cautious! A veterinarian is the best person to tell you what to do when you have concerns over what your pet may have eaten. If your dog or cat swallows a foreign object, or you suspect your pet ingested something they shouldn’t have, call Salazar Veterinary Hospital at Orlando (407)807-6611 and we'll help you immediately.